I think we can all admit that our hair always feels the BEST after a visit to the salon! Part of the reason is that salons use professional-grade products on your hair. From shampoo and conditioner to treatments and styling products – the products used at a salon cannot even be compared to drugstore brands. It’s like comparing an over-the-counter medicine to a prescription medicine.
Hair Care Tips
I used to think that the largest and cheapest bottle of shampoo/conditioner that I could get at the drugstore or Walmart was all my hair needed. 🤦♀️ Being frugal was my main priority. And my hair suffered as a result. I have super thick hair (so thick that hairdressers tell me it’s enough hair for 2-3 people 😳). On top of that, my hair is a mix of curly, wavy and straight (thanks perimenopause hormones). However, once I started using salon-quality products at home – my hair started cheering literally!
So what should you look for in “quality” hair products?
8 ingredients to AVOID in your hair care products:
- Sulfates … more than 90% of hair care products contain them
- Parabens … you’ll need to look out for words ending with “paraben” – for example, butylparaben, ethylparaben, and methylparaben.
- Polyethylene Glycols … It has also been linked to numerous types of cancer.
- Triclosan … It can lead to infertility, fetal harm, immune system issues, weight loss or gain, depression, uncontrolled cellular reproduction, and cancer.
- Formaldehyde … This dangerous preservative can be absorbed through your scalp and can cause toxicity, affect or cause asthma, and has been linked to cancer. When checking the label on your product, look for quaternium-15.
- Synthetic Fragrances and Colors … They are also harmful to your skin and can cause several health issues. Look for the terms FD&C or D&C combined with a number.
- Dimethicone … This will only dry out your hair in the long run, cause build-up at your roots, and irritate or burn your scalp.
- Retinyl Palmitate … It is known to cause a list of skin issues, including peeling, scaling, itching, burning, and redness. This harmful ingredient has also been linked to cancer, reproductive problems, and toxicity.
Key Ingredients to Look For:
Spa Hair Care Products you can use at home (for a fraction of the cost)
So, let me introduce you to Urban Retreat’s Capill-Hair range. There are products for both daily care and for styling. Moreover, all of the products are designed to be restorative, protective, and support healthy, manageable hair. UR has taken hair care to the next generation and even into the future! The Capill-Hair range is designed to change how your hair grows, while nourshing and caring for the hair you have already grown. They are specially designed to help you reach your hair dreams by using innovative results.
When you purchase Urban Retreat products from me, you’re buying directly from our laboratories in what we like to call our “Unique Lab Direct System”. Many people often think that high quality always means a higher price. While this may sometimes be true, imagine if you could buy your favorite goods direct from the supplier. Urban Retreat manufactures their very own products in their very own Laboratories in France. These products are then shipped directly to the end consumer from our very own warehouses in the UK. This cuts out so many of your conventional markups and allows us to produce premium spa-quality products without the conventional price point. A very simple, yet very direct process!
Personal Experience and Results
I started using the shampoo and conditioner mid-January 2023. In addition, I have used the Anti-Dandruff Lotion and the Sublime Oil. My hair is already fairly healthy – as I don’t use any heat products on it; I don’t dye my hair; and I wash it every 5-7 days.
After just one use, my hair saw an immediate improvement. I was amazed at out soft, shiny and healthy it looked. Plus, the anti-dandruff lotion worked wonders on my itchy scalp. While the sublime oil (applied mid-shaft to the ends) kept my fly-aways and frizz at bay, plus defined and softened my curls.
I give these products 5 stars and highly recommend all. My only complaint is I wish the shampoo and conditioner came in a pump instead of a squeeze tube.
Let me know if you start using any of these hair products and if you have any questions. I’d love to hear about your results!